Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Escaped KIller

I sat across from father in the living room and expelled a loud sigh. In a quick nano-second, I vomited everything that had been haunting me for the past several days. I saw in my father's eyes all his hopes and dreams in me shattered. Mother dropped the bowl of fruits; she couldn't believe her baby boy had committed murder. As she screamed, I shuddered as I realized how similar mother's shriek was to Nurul's, as I brought the knife down on her. Father barked at me to get out of his sight. As I retreated, I saw him fidget with his gold-club as he anxiously watched the news. He was probably looking for any sign of Nurul's murder. Suddenly, I heard a thunderous rapping on the front door. Without hesitation I crouched behind the cabinet and shuddered.

Just as father got up, a large bald man burst into the room, brandishing a glock. I recognised him immediately. The last face I wanted to see; Pak Samat. Father and Pak Samat stared daggers at each other in stunned silence. Just at the right moment, a sneeze plagued me and I was discovered by the two men. As if God was trying to avenge Nurul, mother walked into the room with a cell phone glued to her ear. Mother screamed shrilly. In the confusion of the moment, I saw father lunge at Pak Samat, attempting to bring down the golf club on his head. A flash of light and an explosive clap befuddled me. Father collapsed to the ground, clutching his shoulder, the club slid away from him. Mother screamed yet again and fainted. Pak Samat approached me. He cursed me for taking his precious daughter's life; tears cascading down his face.

I looked up to the barrel of the gun. The only word that came to my wretched mouth was sorry. I squeezed my eyes shut, anticipating death. The same explosive clap sounded again. I felt warm tricklings of blood on me. There was no pain, so I realized the blood was not my own. I opened my eyes and saw Pak Samat sprawled spread-eagle on the ground; blood leaking from his forehead. That was as far as my sanity could take, I broke.

Written by Arththi Sathananthar, Eliza Maria Benjamine, Daniel Madrigal & Yee Woan Fung

No comments:

Post a Comment